Friday 25 October 2013

a little chat

Well, I have to write this down so I won't forget.
 
I used one of Pokerdogg's comments to confront Josh with the real possibility of him finding a part-time job and still play poker. This is what happened.

Me: "You can plug in the games you play and see how many points you get. To achieve supernova status, you need to get 100,000 VPP in a year. I played with the numbers a bit, looks like if I stay disciplined, and play single table turbo SNGs, 10 tables at a time, I'll be able to play 100 matches per day. That gives me 611 VPP per day. I only need to play 164 days out of the year, or about 15 days/month." I found this at a poker forum, is this possible?

Josh: Yes

Me (I made this up to see what he'd say): He has a part-time job and also plays. What do you make of it? He doesn't have to withdraw from his bankroll.

Josh: Andrea... where does he have a part time? and does he make 200 euros a month? (it's what a part time pays here)

Me: I have no idea, he's not from around here.

Josh: right... LOL.. no wonder

Me: but wouldn't it be a solution for you?

Josh: If he lived in our country he'd play twice as much and win the 11K
Me: And live off what?

Josh: because working part time and make 200 euros would be ridiculous

Me: and live off what meanwhile? Since you say he shouldn't touch his bankroll...

Josh: Off his ass, I don't know.

Me: O.o  Why does this look like a bad solution for your case? Honestly.

Josh: Because working for 200 euros is just sad. I'd rather move to (his beach house) and become a fisherman.

Me: So... just to confirm, you intend to survive without touching your bankroll and without working, with my support, is that right?

Josh: I don't intend anything. Since you're always changing your mind, you figure it out.

Me: I can't figure out/decide your life... I think it's time you come clean about things.. meaning: to "intend" something, to admit your plans to yourself and me. Whatever they may be, it's important that you decide what to do with your life.

Josh: Right.


And from here on he just evaded the question. But I guess it's pretty clear what he wants. This time I'm not even expecting any innovative comment from you guys, this is just venting, pure and simple, so that I won't forget this conversation.
 
I'm still at work but it's pretty obvious we'll have an argument about it this weekend.
 


xoxo
Andrea

21 comments:

  1. Josh: Because working for 200 euros is just sad. I'd rather move to (his beach house) and become a fisherman.


    Why isn't selling the beach house and using that as a bank roll an option? Because he'd rather make you responsible for his money to lose at poker supply and blame you for consequent failures?


    Also, owning a beach house and having a terrible childhood usually does not equate in the same sentence. He's just really good at excuses and finding reasons to be a shitty person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pokerdogg is right, the house belongs to his family and is not his to sell. Allow me to disagree about the terrible childhood thing, because I believe that money isn't the straight equivallent to a proper childhood. In his case, there are many properties that belong to the family (his grandparents), but his parents were drug addicts, his mom killed herself and his dad died a homeless person.

      Delete
    2. So that makes it okay to be a petty deadbeat ass hole for the rest of his life?

      I had a shit childhood too but that was just all the more reason to sack up and do something about it.

      What did his grandparents say when he asked them to fund his poker bankroll in order to avoid working?

      Delete
    3. I agree with what you said about being a reason to try harder.

      I'm confused by your question because Josh never asked that to his grandparents... they told him he had to quit school and get a job when he was 18, and he moved out and worked small jobs until he was 25.

      Delete
  2. I am sure if the beach house was his to sell, he would have already. It probably is a family property that has use of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this dude is just pathetic.try to have a good weekend. p.s. fishing is a hard job, so i dont think josh can even do that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! But I'm going to do myself a favor and try to relax for the weekend and not think about anything. I need it.

      Delete
    2. have a couple cocktails and light up a J.relax.dont let josh use his past as a crutch.mayb get a tattoo. RELAX. do something 4 yrself

      Delete
    3. I watched a horror movie and ate a bowl of ice cream, same effect on me :) Thanks anger *

      Delete
    4. SWEET. ben and jerrys? i like chunky monkey or cookie dough goes go with the ganja.horror movies give me the classics like night of living dead,damen or shining.

      Delete
    5. I watched the original Carrie from the 70's :D

      Delete
  4. Hi Andrea, Josh is partly correct in that BB/100 is not a measure of how much he wins/loss at poker tournaments. I also said the same thing originally. However, it is a useful measurement to see how luckly/unlucky one has been, by comparing the actual BB/100 versus the expect value (EV) BB/100. HEM do keep track of BB/100 for tournaments.

    The rake statistics is interesting. If he spent $4271 in rake for 4 months in 2012, and he only spent about 1/3 in rake for ~10 months in 2013, then he is playing much less volume in 2013 even after accounting for the smaller tournaments. Let's do some calculation here:

    $4271 / $2.60 (rake/$30 sng) / 4 months = 411 games / month

    $1500 / $0.63 (rake/$7 sng) / 10 months = 238 games / month
    $1500 / $1.30 (rake/$15 sng) / 10 months = 115 games / month

    let's say it play 1/2 at $7 and 1/2 at $15
    $1500 / $0.965 (avg rake) / 10 months = 155 games / month


    So, looks like in 2013 he is playing less than 40% of his volume in Sept-Dec 2012.

    His ROI was ZERO, he is playing way less, at a lower stake. It is not look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I think I'll have the chance to look at those stats again tomorrow, I'll be alone.

      Regarding the rake, I must confirm it because I think I misled you in my comment, he actually spent 1200 rake between February and May 2013, not since December 2012 up until now.

      It is true that he's been playing much less though, also because he's been losing so much and stays away from the tables. So it's bad but maybe not that bad. I'll try to get his average hours from the stats tomorrow too if I have the chance. LOL this has become quite the investigation.

      Delete
  5. By the way, even at his Sept - Dec 2012 rake rate, he would not make Super Nova 1st level. To make supernova, you need to get 100,000 VPP points, at 5.5 points per $1 raked, he needs to generate $6061 of rake for the 4 months period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At this year's work rate, assuming he is a break even player, he would get may be $375 in rewards. Works out to be $37.50, or $27.18 Euro per month. That 200 Euro per month part time job is looking pretty good right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree... it's for much for me to stand, I won't take this for much longer, just need to find the inner strength to tell him to go...

      Delete
  7. Andrea, something else doesn't seem right to me. The stats last week showed ~12,000 games for the year. That is >1200 games per month. Is he playing a lot of micro stakes ($1.50 or $3.50) SNGs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't think so, he only plays $7 and $15...

      Delete
    2. I do see some $3.50 SNGs, and quite a few $3.50 MTTs in one of the graphs you posted last week. But that graph seems to be only for a portion of this year. Anyways, he must be playing something else that doesn't generate much rake, or else he didn't play 12000+ games this year. I guess more sleuthing for you.

      Delete
  8. i like how working a part time job is pathetic to josh BUT playing penny poker all day 4 nothing,isnt? some1 xplain,plz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I told him that once and he got all offended. But it's true. :\

      Delete

Share your stories or simply your thoughts!