Friday 22 November 2013

the most important question you can ask

Hello! I read a very interesting article (click to read it all) about the things we want in life and how our perspective on them is actually wrong, I thought of sharing it with you.
 
According to the author, to become a fully accomplished person, we got used to asking ourselves a question - what do I really want in life? - and then lead our lives in a way that somehow would result in succeeding at those goals.
 
The thing is, answering that question doesn't get us anywhere. Our answers will always be something like to "live a care-free, happy and easy life, to fall in love and have amazing sex and relationships, to look perfect and make money and be popular and well-respected and admired and a total baller to the point that people part like the Red Sea when you walk into the room." Which basically means nothing and will only contribute to make us feel like loosers for the most part.

So, the alternative would be starting to ask ourselves another question - what pain do I want to sustain in life (in order to achieve certain goals?). What are we willing to do or put up with, in order to achieve this or that? That is the million dollar question and can really change our lives.

An example from the article:
 
"If you want the benefits of something in life, you have to also want the costs. If you want the six pack, you have to want the sweat, the soreness, the early mornings, and the hunger pangs. If you want the yacht, you have to also want the late nights, the risky business moves, and the possibility of pissing off a person or ten.
 
If you find yourself wanting something month after month, year after year, yet nothing happens and you never come any closer to it, then maybe what you actually want is a fantasy, an idealization, an image and a false promise. Maybe you don't actually want it at all."
 
Since I'm searching for what I really want as part of the therapy process, this was a good exercise for me. When it comes to my relationship the (painfully) real answer is "I want to be with Josh, I am willing to have arguments regularly regarding his bad habits at home, I'm able to sustain the stress of living with a man who doesn't bring money home regularly, I want to feel nervous and sad every other day, I wish to doubt my future and get frequent stomach aches, I'm willing not to ever have children to stay with Josh, if I have to, I am able to wait for him to become what I need forever, even if that means waking up someday and be an old woman that no other man will want, I am ok with giving him an allowance so he can pursue his dreams and hopefully become what I wish him to be."
 
Hm... yeah. I know it's bad. But it's reality and I have to deal with it. I mean, do I really want these pains? Not really, but since that's what I have to put up with in order to be with Josh, the answer is yes, I really want them. For now. Hopefully my therapy and building my selfesteem will change my answer a bit.
 
When it comes to playing poker, thinking about Josh, I think his real answer wouldn't be "I want to be a successful poker player", but it had to be something like "I want to play poker and deal with months of insecurity, bad beats and coolers, I want to put my relationship at stake, I want to spend many sleepless nights playing and most of my days watching videos on Youtube to improve my game. I want to spend years trying to accomplish something even if it means reaching the age of 40 empty handed and with no job perspectives." I wonder if he'd really answer this, if he's aware of this... I guess I'll ask him later.
 
What about you? What do you really want in life? What are the pains you want in your life?

 
Have a nice weekend!
 
xoxo
Andrea

38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. O.o were you in the military anger?

      Delete
    2. andrea u make me think of the line from the the song OUTSIDER from perfect circle. " help me if u can. it is just this is not the way i am wired,so could u please"

      Delete
  2. Does Josh have a blog called "HusbandsOfJournalists" agonizing over how his lifestyle choices affect his relationship? I suspect he never worried about relationships, or career, or anything long-term. Maybe he is obsessed and worries about poker. He certainly doesn't worry about anyone besides himself. Do you want to be with a partner who is so obsessed and selfish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. snafu. great sex conquers all. lmao. some1 said earlier not to let anger consume u but i guess it is ok to let love or whatever it is she feels 4 josh to consume u. if this blog is even real. leaning towards P3 aka adam. line of thinking.but who cares i love a good fiction train wreck story

      Delete
  3. it snowed in colorado yesterday . did it snow there in bavaria

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those negatives aren't the reasons why you want to be with Josh those are the consequences (just like sacrificing to have a six pack).

    The real question is why do you want to be with Josh? Are you sure it isn't just that you want to be with "someone" and Josh happens to be that someone? What sets him apart from "someone" else other than he is currently your boyfriend?

    we often don't know what we are missing until we step away from what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also, I suspect you are leaving out a lot of the positive aspects of your relationship with Josh. Maybe those outweigh all of the issues? From a distance it is easy for us to judge and say they are not (because that is the light you are using to portray them)... but is that reality? Is it really worth it for you? That is your call to answer.

    Seems like you are more self aware of the situation than how you portray it. I suspect this blog is therapeutic. Maybe it will help you accept the situation? maybe it will help you decide to leave it? I am starting think the worst thing to do would be to try and continue to "fix" it. Either you are going to be happy and accepting of the situation as is or you should focus on moving on.

    Good luck either way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words :) I believe you're right, I can't try to fix it anymore. My journey now is to find out if I want to live the rest of my life with those consequences, as you called them, or not. And after writing all that down, it really got me thinking. I don't want to live like this forever, no. So yep, this blog is therapeutic for me. I just have to figure out what to do next.. and how to do it.

      Of course Josh is much more than what is depicted in this blog, unfortunately you are one of the few who realize that. I mostly write when I'm angry or sad, which makes Josh look like a monster, but he has many aspects that I appreciate.

      Although everything bad that I write about him is true, it's real, there is more to reality than this. Maybe I'll address this in my next post.

      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
    2. i dont think josh is a monster. just a bum.i am sure if he was in colorado . we could mayb havea beer or two and watch the futbol game or talk poker or whatever. i just dont buy the fact .he is a person that can make a living playing poker.mayb not watch futbol .soccer is boring but baseball or football.

      Delete
    3. Funny how it's okay for a man to support a woman, but not vice versa. Andrea's problem is Josh is not devoted to her, but wastes his life on poker. She could find a better house-husband, or a richer self-centered jerk.

      Delete
    4. The difference is Andrea doesn't WANT to support Josh, but will do it anyways.

      Delete
  6. As a man who's spent a long time at the pinnacle of manliness (sports clubs business gym etc), I know how guys think.

    Josh has wanted to be the best soccer player in his peer group, be aesthetically pleasing in appearance, and be a rich poker player. All things that show just how insecure and in need of validation from others he is. He also has cheated in the past. He constantly threatens to leave and let's our heroine know in many other ways just how much her happiness really means to him.

    This all goes to show that he takes his current benefactor for granted, and is simply biding his time as long as he gets what he wants (free place to live and on command financial backing) and the moment the agreement doesn't suit his needs , he's made it clear that he's out. Off to the beach house, a friends couch, whatever. The moment his sham of a relationship isn't functioning to his liking, he's gone. He knows our heroine can't live without him despite how miserable he makes her and how little he offers in return, so he will just kick back and relax until he finds what he really wants (poker success, and a female who challenges him to be the best Josh he can be and doesn't bend over backwards to support his mediocrity)

    I'd be really careful about giving Josh legal access to that $70k. If he is able to get his hands on it, you will never see him again because your utility is complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in josh we trust. he is a pro. give him the money.

      Delete
    2. If he turned 10k into 0 and followed up with 5k into 2k he would turn 70k into 38 bucks for his grand finale.

      It's funny because Josh is clearly the outgoing charismatic alpha jock type, who wasn't really good enough at anything to turn that into a post high school job prospect. He's incredibly arrogant and shallow when questioned because of his fragile ego and massive insecurity towards various life failures. He can do no wrong, and being questioned turns into world war 3. Andrea on the other hand was the do gooder who Josh types never acknowledged, and she worked hard and opened enough doors to have a career. The whole time, wanting nothing more than to be seen and desired by those that are socially well regarded, likely due to her dad not giving her enough attention or approval at home. Andrea finally got the guy she always wanted, mostly because he was lacking options and picked up on her desperate need to impress him, and now she's spending the rest of her life refusing to let go of the idea that some day she's going to ride off into the sunset with a rogained up shell of his former self prom king, no matter the cost to make up for years of never feeling like she was good enough.

      Sad. Really really sad.

      Delete
    3. mayb but josh is a pro. give him the 70k. fuck it. love is blind .it might as well b broke too. i just think it is funny how working a low paying job is pathetic but playing 4 nothing or little money isnt

      Delete
    4. Giving him a single dime out of my 70K is completely out of the question.

      LionsFan, you got off to a good start on that first comment, but then it all went straight to hell, as usual. You just can't quit your fortune-teller / prophet / astrologer job on this blog, can you?

      Delete
    5. y not give him the money? josh has all these great traits. he is such a sweet guy.

      Delete
    6. Josh is going through a rough spell of bad luck. $70k bankroll boost will allow him to reset the pokerstars doom switch and win millions. The guy does watch YouTube videos after all.


      And Andrea, I felt bad for you at first and had hope for you. I now realize you know what you're doing and what you want is some pats on the back and someone telling you with patience everything will work out.

      Newsflash

      Delete
    7. ...it won't. Josh will get older and fatter and balder and more insecure about his lack of income and employment and resent you more for it for holding him back because life was supposed to be easy for him. H

      Delete
    8. r u psychic? if so will the lions cover the spread vs the bucs sunday. lmao

      Delete
  7. Josh is living the American dream, Josh plays poker for a living and gets to poke her for entertainment. Andrea its hard to believe your parents do not step in and open your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was thinking the spanish/italian dream. lol. i dont think her parents could do anything. free will. sir.she has therapists,parents,friends,and ppl here giving her advice and such.so i say let it ride.

      Delete
    2. Maybe my parents' behaviour (and mine, and my friends, and therapist) could hint you that Josh has more to him than what's on this blog, but you choose to label us all idiots... that's your choice.

      Delete
    3. sure. he does andrea. he sounds like a real charmer. listen, i want u to stay with him. the drama is awesome.

      Delete
    4. Andrea if Josh has more to him than what you are writing stop throwing Josh under the bus.

      Delete
  8. soundgarden is playing in the netherland in june. just saying

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a breakthrough, Andrea. You're certainly asking the right questions. Not too many people are really willing to look this hard at what they want in life, at least with any degree of honesty.

    Well done - you seem to be on the path towards discovering some truths that will help you live a better life.

    s.i.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement :) I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  10. At least one or two opponents should be "dead money" - frustrated horny drunk guys throwing away money after midnight. Yet Josh struggles to beat them. He is Walter Mitty playing $15 Sit n' go's while fantasizing about being a high stakes pro on T.V. Don't reject Josh for being broke. Dump him for being a deluded poseur.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,

    I like the style and content of your blog, I add it to my blogroll.

    If you are interested we can exchange post or write about any topic that interests you. We write the post in Spanish and English.Our blog is focused on all kinds of player.s

    Regards

    http://nobetnowin.wordpress.com/

    P.s. my boyfriend is professional player and I love your blog because I feel identified with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well finally, someone in the same situation as I am. Maybe you can write a post telling your personal story as a poker player's girlfriend and let me know about it in a comment, I'll read it then :)

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Share your stories or simply your thoughts!